Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

I actually am getting an education.

I realized that I've neglected to post ANY of my artwork since I put up those work-in-progress collages that I did like 2 weeks ago. SO. Here's what I've been doing.

INTERMEDIATE PAINTING:
Our only project so far has been to find a subject -- any subject -- and paint it in three different ways. The first is from observation, the second from memory, and the third any method we like. I chose a little red pot with a handle nestled in some shiny blue fabric. I love to paint drapery.


Here, and unfortunately sideways, you can see my painting of it from memory.


Here is my painting from observation.*


This...is whatever method we like. Now, I know what you must be thinking. "That is not a small ceramic object surrounded by blue draperies!" Well, you are correct. I was getting kind of sick of painting that little pot, and as I was somewhat reminded of a little boat on the water, I asked my professor if I could...depart a bit from the original idea. Of course it does not take a great leap of imagination to go: little ceramic pot --> frigate on a storm-tossed ocean. I only act logically.

ILLUSTRATION:
In this class we're working on something called a visual monograph -- we were supposed to find three different shapes in art in Florence (a circle, a triangle, and a square) and meticulously copy them via watercolor. I enjoyed this project, although about halfway through I looked to my right and to my left, and realized that not only are my classmates good with watercolor, they are amazing with watercolor. Points knocked from my ego.


A circle motif! From the Tempietto monument.


A triangle! From the Campanile (bell tower) of the Duomo.


A square! From the ceiling of the Palazzo Vecchio.

ITALIAN FASHION DESIGN:
Well, we've got so many projects going on at once during this class that I simply cannot name them all. Actually just kidding I can.
First off, we were given three categories that describe a collection: style, theme, and target. We picked them out of a hat. I got bohemian seasonal activist. If you think that's a strange combination, you should have seen some of the others.**


This is one of my more refined designs from my collection. We were supposed to draw them on a fashion illustration model -- ie. a person who has a ratio of 10-to-1 instead of a normal, healthy human being, who has a ratio of 7-to-1 on average. That little kitty next to our bodacious lady is saying "THIS WOMAN IS GARGANTUAN". Those legs are no joke.
Other projects for this class include:
  • weaving fabric out of other strips of fabric
  • researching designers that we like (and giving presentations on them)***
  • researching fashion brands that we like (and giving presentations on them)
  • felting necklaces (I could not for the life of me do this, and ended up just being covered up to the elbows in soap and bits of wooly fiber. My hands smell like sheep.)
  • crocheting or knitting hats out of sheep. Next to me I have about 5 rows of crocheting done in a rather lovely shade of dusty pink. I've discovered that I really like to have something to do with my hands -- whether it's drawing, crocheting, embroidering, or making little friendship bracelets.
Here are a few other things of note. The Italian government has taken my contact lenses and small canvas backpack hostage, and demand 40 euro in ransom. I believe I must concede to their demands. I found one of my favorite books by Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!, in Italian. I am currently reading it an underlining the words that I don't know. I went out for sushi last night with some friends**** and tried wasabi for the first time. NEVER. AGAIN.


*Mostly from observation. That little ceramic pot disappeared after two days, never to be seen again.
**Punk sportswear for people with disabilities.
***Because I am me, I chose designers that I'd found in connection with a Game of Thrones blog that I like, called Game-of-Style. I presented on Abed Mahfouz and Elie Saab, both of whom are Lebanese and make beautiful dresses. Go on, visit their websites. 
 ****They ordered a boat full of sushi. I had chicken. It was quite fun. I had peanut butter gelato afterwards. There was a lot of hysterical laughter.





2 comments:

  1. Hysterical laughter!! That is what I like to hear (and also hear about).

    Also you are probably the only person I know who knows what a "frigate" is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any of several types of warship built for speed and maneuverability? Yeah, pretty much.

      Delete