Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Butterflies and Taxidermy


Moths in a case!

So, whenever we went to visit my grandparents in DC, I would force someone to take me to the "stuffed animal museum", ie. the Smithsonian. It didn't bother me that the animals were all dead and full of sand and wire! I mean, it still doesn't, but you'd think that that fact would scare a kid. NOPE NOT ME I JUST WANTED TO SEE AMINALS.
I had a revival of that experience this week, in illustration class. Camilla took us to La Specola, which is one of the largest collections of "stuffed animals" in the world. We're working on a children's book (or as Camilla says, children book) featuring an animal of our choosing. I picked black bear, because I like them! They are bumbling. I don't have any photos of them, unfortunately, although I do have sketches*. It was pretty difficult to sketch them for a few reasons: the American black bear that they had on display was probably just a little grizzly bear, I'm serious; the display cases were made out of beautiful wood, but there were big wooden bars separating the panes so the bears were all partially hidden by the cabinets; it was REALLY INCREDIBLY HORRIBLY COLD in that museum.
Also at the museum was a whole big collection of bugs, most of which I think are scary except for bees and moths. I like those ones! The rest of them are creepy and have too many legs. Plus, the word "chitinous" is just...ugh.


Here are some bees! A horrible picture of some bees.


BUNNY RABBITS.


Every case was labelled with the Latin taxonomy of the critter inside. Here you could walk into the cabinet labelled "Homo sapiens". Here's Camilla and my classmate Una posing.


And Ben being a caveman.


8<

*I'm not taking photos of my artwork with my phone anymore, because the horrible picture quality just makes it awful. But I will scan them with the beautiful scanners at SACI and post them! As well as my...FASHION COLLECTION DUN DUN DUN


No comments:

Post a Comment