Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tally ho!

I was talking to a girl at a party last night who told me that she'd been so homesick at the beginning of the semester that she'd forced herself to write a list of all the things she would miss about Florence when the time came for departure. I wasn't nearly that clever, but I like the idea, so I thought I might compose a little list here (although I only have 4 days left to really appreciate these things)

  • Hearing the bells of the Campanile ring the hour, especially 6 and noon.
  • Walking past the Duomo to school every day.
  • Painting what I want, in whatever style I want.
  • My awesome teachers: the painting teacher that laughed when I saluted him when saying goodbye; my  fashion teacher who liked the title for my Marie Antoinette essay ("How to Dress Like an Ostrich"); my illustration teacher who gave us a cappuccino break every morning and told us hilarious stories about her life in Florence; my scatterbrained art history teacher who told me she was eager to read my final paper because she liked my writing so much.
  • Cappuccini e paste per colazione! 
  • Parties: everyone gets their own bottle of wine.
  • Hearing little kids speak Italian in squeaky voices.
  • The Arno, the Uffizi, and everything beautiful.
  • The excellent chocolate bars on sale at the supermarket chain Conad. 
  • Zecchi, the cramped art store full of everything awesome.
  • Seeing the Palazzo Vecchio from my windows, especially all lit up at night.
  • The beautiful Christmas decorations (see my last post), all draped over the streets and glowing everywhere.
  • The rare occasion when an Italian person congratulates me on how good my Italian is.
  • My friends:






No comments:

Post a Comment